Tuesday, August 8, 2017

2T Repeat Performance

In December 2016, the lovely Magical Musings crew decided it was time to close down their blogging shop. I had three wonderful years with them. I thought you might be interested in seeing those posts now.

photo credit: sean dreilinger via photopin cc
Do You Candy Crush? -- Favorites #6 eGames--Originally posted September 17, 2014

Let’s get to know each other!

In these first months as a Magical Musings blogger, I’m sharing my 10 favorite things and hope to hear about yours.

I'm more pinball generation than video game, but I have to admit, there's something about playing computer games that appeals to me. I started out with role-playing adventure games like Quest For Glory and Baldur's Gate, though lately it seems all I have time for is three minutes of Secret Society or Candy Crush.

I'm not sure why, but electronic games give me the same feelings as seeing a bristling Christmas tree loaded with shiny ornaments or a Halloween candy bag or a beautifully wrapped gift box.

Maybe it just comes down to art.

To me, there's a sense of wonder and joy that playing the best games brings. It's like reading a book where you get to control the story. Or like living in your very own movie. The improvement in graphics and sound quality has only increased the experience.

Even quick pattern-matching games like Candy Crush and Farmville, casual games meant to while away a few minutes in line or between appointments, make life sparkle a little more. What would we do while waiting otherwise? Something productive, maybe, but would being productive pop just a bit of joy into our lives?

When my children were growing up, we read books at bedtime, and my children still are readers as adults. Books are an important part of our lives. But we also played video games and I think it gave them an appreciation of and familiarity with modern electronics while still exercising their imaginations.

Maybe not. :) But I just bought Baldur's Gate for my tablet, and it still feels like Christmas trees and perfectly wrapped gifts.

What brings you a sense of wonder and joy?

My son recently pointed me at a site that has older games updated for current operating systems called GOG. Quest for Glory 1-5 is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment