Tuesday, May 16, 2023

3T Writing Tidbit - story structure bonus

I've been reviewing story structure lately. Despite what the pundits say, there's more than one way to tell a story! You have your 3-17 step hero's journey, your 5 plot-point, your 3 act, your 2 step scene/sequel. Let's start on the far end and work our way in.

Last month we did scene/sequel. I have one more structure that I picked up from an interview with a famous actor (I can't remember who or where, so if this sounds familiar please point me at the clip so I can give proper attribute.)

All stories boil down to this basic understanding:

  • Protagonist decides to enter Special World.
  • Protag acts.
  • This has consequences.

I like this because it's super simple and super relatable. We can even apply this to our own lives! The formula works at both micro and macro levels - apply it to a scene, an act, or the whole arc of the story.

Published since 2009, over the years I've accumulated various items of writing wisdom. The Third Tuesday Writing Tidbit showcases these items in no particular order. Click here to see all 3T Tidbits

No comments:

Post a Comment