Tuesday, August 20, 2013

3T Writing Tidbit

Published since 2009, over the years I've accumulated various items of writing wisdom. The Third Tuesday Writing Tidbit showcases these items in no particular order. Click here to see all 3T Tidbits.

Pitching your story. These are the basic elements.

  • WHERE is the story set?
  • WHO is the protagonist?
  • WHAT is the protagonist's BIG PROBLEM?
  • HOW does your book fit in the marketplace? (Or who is your reader or what is your genre or who writes like you?)
For each of the elements, decide what is the most interesting feature and use that to illustrate. For example, WHERE is the story set. My Biting Love series is set in the small town of Meiers Corners Illinois (just outside of Chicago), a German-settled community filled with quirky folk. If I were pitching to an Illinois agent I'd mention that but in general I'd pick one or two quirky folk as my interesting item. Note: what's interesting will change over time. For example, there was a time when the hooker with a heart of gold was new and innovative. I suspect my granny stripper will be old hat, pardon the pun. Nixie, as a tiny punk rocker with a bazooka in the closet, is one of my favorites for interesting.

More on pitches here:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment