Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Opening the Windows to Sweet Air

We've been alternating between rain and super hot temps lately, and the windows have been shut on the house. Today is the first time I've opened them in quite some time and I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, the cooler weather means fall is coming, and with it shorter days and imperfect light. The short days don't bother me as much as the watery sunshine. Something about that half-light makes me sad and reminds me of bad dreams.

On the other hand, today's breeze feels great and smells even better, both soft and fragrant. Nice change from stale windows-shut air. We don't get these lovely days often.

If I were to focus on the meaning of the cooler day, I'd be missing the simple joy of the sweet air. I'm not saying ignore the future, but it's a nice reminder to open the window when I can.


No comments:

Post a Comment