Tuesday, October 24, 2017

4T Olio A Book I've Enjoyed

Here's a shocker. Reading for information doesn't have to be dry and boring.

Besides the few minutes I steal to read for pleasure, I read a lot for information, mostly to get the facts right for a character or her clothes or car or location.

But I read several writing manuals a year, the best recommended by friend and amazing author Edie Ramer. I always find at lease a couple gems in the links she sends, but this book...OMG this book, I have 28 notes, all of them BIG EFFING CONCEPTS that I wonder why I didn't learn RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING.

Why did I enjoy it?
He applies the principals of great storytelling to the material
He tells YOU how to apply  the principals of great storytelling to your material, whether a novel, a screenplay, a TEDD talk, or your PTA speech




Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t

by Steven Pressfield

Tough love from the author of The War of Art. Nobody Wants To Read Your Sh*t is Pressfield’s “lessons learned" from a career in five different writing fields—advertising, screenwriting, fiction, narrative nonfiction, and self-help.
This is wisdom from the trenches, teaching you how to obey the platinum rule of writing ... THOU MUST MAKE IT INTERESTING!

Amazon | Nook | Author




Frankly, doing book reports as a child was grueling. I just wanted to read the story, to experience the adventure and the emotion. But I do want to share my favorites with you. Hope you enjoyed this glimpse into a book I've enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment