Tuesday, June 13, 2017

2T Repeat Performance

In December, the lovely Magical Musings crew decided it was time to close down their blogging shop. I had three wonderful years with them. I thought you might be interested in seeing those posts now.

photo credit: kevin dooley via photopin cc
Just for Laughs—Favorites #7 Comics & Cartoons--originally posted July 23, 2014

Let's get to know each other!

In these first months as a Magical Musings blogger, I'm sharing my 10 favorite things and hope to hear about yours.

I love humor across the board, but my favorite type is the concentrated form known as the cartoon. It’s such an expressive medium, from subtle to over-the-top, but always bite sized.

To me, cartoons are the visual equivalent of poetry, but for humor :)

This is me. http://xkcd.com/1267/
This is sooo me.

When I start the day by checking out my favorite cartoons, I start the day with a smile. On Facebook I follow Garfield, Pearls Before Swine, and Zits. Online my faves are Freefall, Sinfest, User Friendly, and xkcd (pictured at right).

If novels are movies, comics are a camera's snapshot. They tell a story too, with setup and payoff but in just a few frames. I thoroughly admire the focus and clarity of thought and visualization the artist must have. The best, as with all art forms, shed light on the human condition. Which is probably why I tend toward the geeky ones. lol.

I miss some favorites. Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Fox Trot, as well as the always perspective-shifting Far Side.
Nixie's lost her mojo!

Cartoons have had a huge influence on my writing, especially with some of the snarkier characters like five-foot-even punk rock musician Nixie. She's my version of a cartoon, tossing out one-liners as she observes her world from her unique perspective. Here's the warning from Murder at Chipmunk Lake, a new Nixie and Julian story coming July 30.

Nixie Emerson, punk rock musician and first-time mom-to-be, has a stalker!

Warning: contains a cranky pregnant lady trying to control her swearing, a master vampire appeasing his wife with food and creative sex, murder, mayhem and several arguments over what to name the baby.

Do you enjoy cartoons? What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment