Tuesday, August 18, 2026

3T Writing Tidbit - Crafting Characters Readers Will Love

 Here's another in the Chat GPT generated blog ideas, balm to a tired brain after a long day. 

 Readers don't want perfection. They want to read about people like them (but better... or worse).

Think about it. What would Sherlock Holmes be without Watson? Holmes is brilliant, but cold and analytical and in many ways normally unapproachable. Conan Doyle wrote a couple stories from Holmes's point of view and the reception was mixed to negative. Watson is like us, and gives us a way to experience Holmes that's appealing.

What makes a character "like us"?

We have flaws. We have desires -- in a story, usually one thing we want badly. We have inner thoughts, some humorous, some poignant. We have awkward moments, inviting empathy. We have anger and love and moments of beauty.

I'm sorry, but I have to use Chat GPT's takeaway line because it's too perfect. After all I said about readers not wanting perfection, lol. 

Takeaway:
A reader doesn’t want flawless—they want fascinating.

Published since 2009, over the years I've accumulated various items of writing wisdom. The Third Tuesday Writing Tidbit showcases these items in no particular order. Click here to see all 3T Tidbits.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment