Tuesday, June 18, 2019

3T Writing Tidbit -- why romance don't get no respect

I write romance and humor because I love both happy endings and a good laugh.

But from movies to television to books, stories with comedy and happily-ever-afters get lower rankings, ratings, and are less esteemed compared to dramas of the same caliber.

As Rodney Dangerfield says, "I don't get no respect."

But why? That's one of the things I never understood. For years I beat my head against this one seemingly universal truth.

Dramas are more significant.

Then, many years ago when I was reading Hero with a Thousand Faces, I got a glimpse why. And also an understanding that drama's crown as highest art form was not always the case.

Modern literature, you see, is a courageous facing of the sickeningly broken life within and around us. It's heroic to face those disheartening facts, not with complaint (or sarcasm), but by turning it into art. A happily-ever-after is less courageous. Worse, it's not true and can't be taken seriously.

Thing is, HEAs in the ancient world were high art. Why? Because stories with a happily-ever-after represented the transcendence of the tragedy of man.

Take that, drama. :)

May you continue to laugh in the face of drama and may all your HEAs be transcendent.

Published since 2009, over the years I've accumulated various items of writing wisdom. The Third Tuesday Writing Tidbit showcases these items in no particular order. Click here to see all 3T Tidbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment