Tuesday, December 15, 2015

3T Writing Tidbit

What's the deal with Goal, Motivation and Conflict?

I've seen these around and thought I knew what they were. Turns out like most things writerly, there's a lot of iceberg under the water's surface. Read Debra Dixon's book GMC. You'll see what I mean.

But the tip of the berg is something I've heard often, in many forms. Even alone, it bears repeating.

Your central character must have a
STRONG, SPECIFIC WANT that drives the plot/drives the action and a
DESPERATE NEED, usually unknown to them, that resolves the plot.

Published since 2009, over the years I've accumulated various items of writing wisdom. The Third Tuesday Writing Tidbit showcases these items in no particular order. Click here to see all 3T Tidbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment